This is a cake I made for Exeter Baking Club a couple of weeks ago and someone requested the recipe… so here it is!
For the cake base and filling:
150g butter, at room temp
1/2 whole lemon, zest only
1 egg, at room temp
400g plain flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
100ml milk, at room temp
800g plums, pitted and cut into sixths
Whipped cream (sweetened with sugar and vanilla), to serve
For the streusel:
200g plain flour
Pinch of salt
– For the cake base, cream the butter, sugar, and lemon zest, then add the egg. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt and incorporate into the creamed mixture, along with the milk.
– Chill dough for at least 30 minutes.
– Use your hands to flatten the dough into a large rectangle and press into the bottom of an ungreased cake pan, pressing slightly at the edges to build up the sides of the cake.
– Layer plum pieces to evenly cover the cake base.
– Sprinkle streusel (recipe follows) over top, and then bake at 175°C for about 45 minutes, depending on the moistness and thickness of your cake and toppings.
– Serve with plenty of the sweetened whipped cream.
– Streusel: Cream together the sugar and butter, then mix in flour and salt using your finger tips. Press handfuls of the mixture together to form clumps of streusel before scattering over the cake.