Geraldine’s American Nougat Cake won Bake Of The Week at the very first Exeter Baking Club meeting a few weeks ago and she has been kind enough to let me post the recipe here. Enjoy!
4oz caster sugar
4oz butter or olive spread
6oz self raising flour
4oz light brown sugar
4oz roughly chopped walnuts
Little vanilla essence
1. Cream butter and sugar together
2. Separate eggs and add egg yolks to sugar and butter mixture
3. Gradually add flour. Mix well then press down into a greased flat tin
4. Beat egg whites stiffly then fold in the brown sugar and walnuts
5. Spread on top of cake in tin and bake at 175°C for about 40 minutes
6. Leave turned out on a wire tray until cool.