Strawberry And Vanilla Cupcakes
This is the recipe I used to create the “Congratulations” cupcakes featured in my last post. It is a wonderfully simple recipe that gives a beautifully light sponge and the different coloured layers add that little element of surprise for when first bitten into (unfortunately I failed to remember to take a picture of this but I assure you it looked lovely).
Golden caster sugar
Self raising flour
1tsp vanilla essence
1tsp strawberry essence
Red food colouring
For the buttercream –
25g unsalted butter
100g icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a muffin tray with 9 large paper cases or 12 medium-sized ones
- Weigh the 3 eggs in their shells
- Place in a bowl an amount of butter equal to the weight of the eggs (so for example, if your eggs weigh 160g, add 160g of butter). Add to the butter an amount of sugar also equal to the weight of the eggs. Cream together until light and smooth
- Add the eggs one at a time and mix well after each addition
- Sieve in self-raising flour equal to the weight of your eggs and fold in gently until fully combined
- Split the mixture equally between two bowls. Add the vanilla to one bowl and the strawberry essence to the other. Add a few drops of the red food colouring to the strawberry flavoured batter and mix throughly (you only want a light pink colour so be careful to not add too much)
- Place spoonfuls of the vanilla mixture into the bottom of each paper case and then top with spoonfuls of the strawberry mixture.
- Bake for approx 10 – 15 minutes until well risen and slightly golden but keep a careful eye on them because the cooking time varies depending on their size
- Place on a wire rack to cool as soon as they come out of the oven
- When it’s time to make the buttercream, simply beat together the butter and icing sugar until smooth and slather on top of the cupcake.